Today, customers are more interested in buying and using eco-friendly products and reducing carbon footprints. This is a positive development, as a little change in buying habits and perspective can help to save the planet from overutilization of resources.
The change has also created a new generation of entrepreneurs, focusing entirely on eco-friendly and green business models. If you are looking to build your business around the green theme, here are the top 10 eco-friendly business ideas, which you can consider.
Top 10 Eco-Friendly Business Ideas
The following are some of the top eco-friendly or green business ideas:
- Used Book Store: You can open a book store focusing entirely on selling used books at a fraction of cost. You can either open the book store online or have a mix of brick and mortar structures.
Fact check: Do you know, it takes around an average of 12 trees to produce a tonne of newspaper grade paper and 15 trees for producing a tonne of coated magazine paper.
- Solar Energy Retailer: You can set up a shop dealing in selling and installation of roof-top solar panels in residential and commercial properties. Parallelly, you can be energy or solar energy consultant, which is a niche skill in the market. The primary job of a solar consultant is to advise businesses and individuals on strategies to reduce carbon footprints and save on energy bills.
Furthermore, you can consider setting up a solar panel manufacturing plant, which is an attractive business proposition and is witnessing huge demand.
- E-waste Recycling: Recycling e-waste or discarded electronic products is a huge and profitable business opportunity. By selling the extracted precious metals like gold, silver, copper from the electronic components and circuit boards, one can profit hugely and prevent the dumping of e-waste in landfills, which is a major source of pollution.
- Selling Energy-Efficient Vehicles: With the rising price of fossil fuels, interest in eclectic cars and bikes among people are growing. And, auto companies are also adding products rapidly to their portfolio. With demand for electric vehicles set to outpace the traditional or ICE vehicles, dealing or setting up EV showrooms can be a big business opportunity.
- Green Architecture: Designing homes that consume less energy and are built using sustainable materials and methods are in huge demand. Setting up a design studio, and helping businesses and individuals to build an eco-friendly house is a profitable business venture.
- Green Tourism: Green tourism means tourism involving responsible traveling to places with minimal environmental impact and improving the well-being of the local people. For example, using eco-friendly means of traveling destinations, buying products from the local artisans and people, bicycle and walking tours, etc. You can start as an eco-tourism planner or set up your eco-tourism travel agency to help tourists to explore places with the least environmental impact.
- Organic Farming: Organic farming is a traditional way of doing farming using organic manures and fertilizers for crops, eliminating toxic pesticides and insecticides from the process. It helps to restore the health of the soil and promotes the recycling of animal wastes back into the soil. The trend of organic farming is fast catching up and demand for organic products is very high in urban markets.
- Eco-Friendly Shopping Bags: The demand for eco-friendly packaging and shopping bags made from cotton cloth, jute, plant fibers, paper, and so on is huge. Setting up a manufacturing unit for producing eco-friendly shopping bags can give you good returns and finance for such businesses is easily available.
- Biofuel Production Unit: As the world is rapidly moving towards alternative fuel sources, biofuels will play an important role. For example, ethanol extracted from sugar juice fermentation is the best alternative for petrol. Similarly, through the various refinement processes, biodiesel can be produced from vegetable oils, used cooking oils, or animal fats.
Biofuel manufacturing units can be started with low investment and the demand for the product is huge.
- Green Financing: Green financing is a new concept, where you can finance the projects that support local ecology, and use environmentally sustainable products. While the profitability through means of interest remains, the other objective of green financing is to support projects that provide value to local communities and the environment.
One of the big advantages of setting up an eco-friendly business is it can be started with low investment, barring a few. You can also consider taking business loans, which are easily available to profitable business units and ideas. By fulfilling the business loan eligibility criteria of the lender, you can get access to finance to expand your business toward eco-friendly business verticals. At SMFG India Credit, we provide unsecured business loans upto INR 75 Lakhs* for eligible borrowers.
The business loan calculator can help you plan the repayments with ease and calculate the returns on investments.